Sunday, December 21, 2008

On The First Day of Hanukkah My True Love Gave To Me...

Okay, so I know the title is a traditional Christmas song but I couldn't resist after Zachary began singing that around the house after he

PROPOSED TO ME!

Yes, that is correct, we are officially and without question

ENGAGED!

See, that was worth the 4 month wait for a new blog entry, wasn't it ?


-------------------------------------

Now for the most important part, the story of how it happened...
Zachary was doing a really good job of keeping me at bay for the last 2 weeks or so since I became increasingly suspicious of his 'sneakery' as we like to call it.
Point one- He wouldn't give me any details of what he was doing or his whereabouts when he was in NY a few weeks ago to visit our families. This in it of itself is very unusual since I normally get a play-by-play report whenever I don't travel with him.
Point two- the 'googly look' as I like to call it. It is a squinty-eyed, prolonged stare paired with a half smirk that I would get here and there. This would then be followed with my harassing, inquisition-like questioning and end with "that's enough, no more questions" from Zachary.
So this went on for about 2 weeks where every single moment was "it" if you asked me.

Finally, we reach this evening, Sunday, December 21st, 2008, the first night of Hanukkah.
Zachary really wanted to celebrate it like I did when I was growing up in the honor of my late Grandmother, Evelyn Gan. I insisted we light the candles at sundown, just as I've done since I can remember, it's only proper. I began to melt the first nights candle into the menorah and light the shamash when Zachary brought over a photograph of my Grandpa Mac and Grandma Evelyn. Obviously a very emotional moment, this was followed by me tearfully yet very accurately reciting the Hanukkah prayer. Evie would be very proud. I then placed the shamash back in the menorah and turned around to find my man on one knee telling me how much he loves me. It was then that he asked me to marry him. I believe my response was "yes, of course yes!" That was the moment when I became the very luckiest girl in the world. To be the one to capture his heart and wear his love on my hand symbolized by the ring which was once my Grandmother Evelyn's given to her by my Grandfather Mac.


After we regain composure from the excitement of this evening we will begin our wedding planning journey. To be on the safe side, we are asking all of our loved ones to save
space in their calendars for an October, 2009 Colorado wedding.

Much more to follow...

With love,
Nicole & Zachary



-------------------------------------



5 comments:

Unknown said...

GOOSEBUMPS.... What a lovely way to propose. :) I am soooo excited for you two. Bags packed and ready... Can't wait!

Unknown said...

AHhhhhh!!!! I am SOOOOOooo excited for you guys! Your story telling is superb, my friend! I loved reading every bit of it. Zachary- way to go!!!! A great excuse for a trip to Colorado... CONGRATULATIONS to you both!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank god for Gracious, the bastard dog, now you can make an honest woman out of that poor pup after so many years of living in sin.

Seriously though, many congrats. Linds, Clayton, and Rowan are very happy for you both. We will, of course, be in touche.

A

Anonymous said...

WOW!! BEST WISHES!! We are so happy for you both! What a beautiful proposal. Grandma Ev would be very proud! Enjoy many years in your new home. We love you,

Aunt Colleen, Uncle Kenny, Jason, Amy & Devin. and Casey.

PS its to bad the cat and dog don't get along!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, there's a tear in my eye. For real. I can't way to chat about all the wedding plans! Good job Zach! You will always have good memories of his proposal. Love, Annie